Costume Colloquium II : Dress for Dance
6-9 november 2010 - Florence, Italy
Call for Papers
Following the great success of the first Costume Colloquium (held in Florence 6-9 November 2008 and attended by over 315 participants from 26 countries with 39 presentations on 8 themes), there will be a second symposium in November 2010 on the subject of Dress for Dance.
Costume Colloquium II: Dress for Dance will explore interdisciplinary aspects of dance dress and costume, this multi-cultural mode of human expression, from a variety of practical, historical and creative perspectives. For four days (exact dates to be determined) participants will attend lectures, see demonstrations, have on-site visits as well as observe or participate in exclusive dance performances. This unique symposium will be of interest not only to costume and dance historians, costume designers, costume makes, museum curators, archivists, textile and costume conservators, dancers and dance re-enactors, etc., but also to students and members of the public with a desire to learn about dress for dance from the experts in the fieldsexamined.
The topics of Costume Colloquium II: Dress for Dance will include the following themes:
- History of dance costume for professional performance : theatre, ballet, cinema, etc.
- Dress for traditional and ceremonial dance : costume as expressions of cultures
- Fashion and popular dance : relationship between popular music, new styles of dance and fashionable dress, past and present
- Creating dance costume : designers, artists, artisans, stylists, tailors, seamstresses using traditional, experimental and/or contemporary materials and techniques
- Historical dance re-enactment : getting the steps and the clothing right
- Dance costume in museums and archives : collecting designs and surviving costume, conservation, display techniques
- Documenting dance dress : dress as documents and documents of dress
- Dance costume and artistic expression : their reciprocal relationship
Find More on : costume-textiles.com
Labels: Costume, Dance